Lemon oatmeal cookies. Probably a combination most people wouldn’t think of…but you are here and I encourage you to try this small flavourful cookie!
Can you believe it has been 2 months since I posted any recipes? Believe me, it is NOT for lack of trying. I’ve been working through some of my Gramma’s recipes and the last few I have tried…well, they were not exactly the greatest things I have eaten. Guess they need that Gramma’s touch!
As I was making the lemon squares recipe, I came across another recipe that would use the lemon rinds thus saving some food waste (always a goal of mine). The recipe had a simple title: lemon cookies. The ingredients were simple enough and the steps were nothing fancy. So I gave it a try. And another try. And another.
Each time I made the recipe, it seemed a little off. Too much butter. Too thin. Easily burnt. But each time, the taste was still there so I knew it was worth it to play around with Gramma’s recipe. I decided to make my own Lemon Oatmeal Cookies.
So after that two months of experimenting, I have finally perfected it! By the praise I got from my taste-tester colleagues while playing around with these lemon oatmeal cookies, you will LOVE the final product.
Lemon Oatmeal Cookies
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1-2 tsp grated lemon rind
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup quick rolled oats
1-2 tsp fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 300F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix well. The mixture should have an almost curdled appearance.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until all ingredients are wet and the mixture has a sticky consistency.
- If you wish, add lemon juice. While optional, you will achieve a far fuller flavour with just a bit of juice added to the mix.
- Roll the dough into small balls about 1 inch or 2-3cm in diameter. Place the balls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Leave at least 2cm between each cookie.
- Freeze or refrigerate the entire cookie sheet for about 20 minutes. This is optional but will yield a more evenly baked cookie and a nicer shape. While the cookies are in the freezer, start to preheat the oven to 300F.
- Once ready, place the cookies into the preheated oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove and let cool on the pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack or a cookie tin. The extra time on the pan lets the cookies finish cooking.
- Each batch makes 24 small cookies. The cookies can be frozen and thawed at room temperature for later enjoyment.
If you want the original recipe, sign up for my email newsletter to get a free downloadable recipe card for it.
You will also get access to the exclusive subscriber section of the site with special craft and recipe tutorials.
Don’t worry, I will not spam your email. In fact, I have only sent one email out so far and only plan to send about FOUR A YEAR.
Want more Gramma inspired recipes? Check out these ones!